Regarding the MicroPur tablets, those look like a pretty cool product. I have no worries about the taste of the water from the sources I get water from.

My only issue is that the packaging says a "4 hour treat time for effectiveness."

My form of water treatment while BP'g goes something like this.....
- first off, I consume large quantities of water when hiking vigorously (>1.5 gallons a day?)
- starting the trip I drink a lot of water at the TH
- I start hiking carrying very little water (two 16oz bottles) and consume the minimum until first break
- filter and consume quite a bit of water at break(s), refill 2 bottles and return to the trail
- get to first camp, and filter and consume hi quantity of water again, refill 2 bottles for dinner and nightime
- unlimited filtered water at camp(s)
- continue treatment schedule until returning to TH to depart and consume stored water at car

These tablets would work great in camp. But I like to carry the minimum on the trail, especially when hiking adjacent to immediate water sources (the vast majority of my BP trips). And when on the trail, it seems one would have to carry a large reserve of treated water because these tablets don't allow quick consumption of local water sources. Because who stops for four hours? Carrying a large reserve of water just kinda defeats the purpose.

Do any of you have experiences with these tablets on the trail?