I don't use any alcohol stoves that involve wicks.

I have one setup that weighs a bit more, but is somewhat more robust, and boils quicker, and one SUL setup that weighs almost nothing, but takes longer to obtain a boil.

The heavier one is the Heineken can based "penny stove" for which plans can be easily found with a google search. Fairly easy to make, and very simple to use. No priming pans, no warmup times, just put fuel in it, light, and leave.

The lighter one is the "tea light" stove, which is a simple open tea light candle container filled with a half ounce of fuel, and lit. It does not burn as hot, so it takes longer to boil (under ideal conditions I've gotten a boil of 2 cups of water in 8 minutes), but it is more fuel efficient, and weighs only a half a gram. Paired with a good windscreen, and a Foster's can pot, the whole shabang weighs less than 2 ounces. It's not as durable a setup, so care has to be taken with it, but it's very light and extremely efficient.

I've never attempted any wick stoves, or any stoves with insulation in them, but I've seen a few people on the trail with them, and have also heard plenty of 4-letter words from the people trying to use them. That's enough to convince me to steer clear.