I've only got one issue with your gear: "I will embarrassingly say I've spilled some pretty serious coin..."

Why be embarrassed? It always surprises me that folks think spending money on this pastime is somehow "wrong." Would you ever say you were embarrassed because you bought top line carpentry tools for your shop, or the best cookwear for your restaurant, or first-class fishing gear? I bet not.

I'm not saying you have to spend lots of money to backpack - you don't, and the fact that the backcountry is accessible to all is one of the great things about it. I'm also not trying to disparage those who are on tight budgets; I've been there myself. If you enjoy seeing how little money you can spend, or enjoy making your own gear, that's great; I'm not saying that's wrong at all. Those are just different ways of approaching it.

But I don't think that spending freely on high-quality gear is somehow inherently bad, or a less "pure" way to enjoy the sport. It's just another way to approach it. (Of course, I have to think that way - I'm also a gearaholic.)

So, enjoy your gear, remove the blush from your cheeks, and hold your head up proudly! smile

Edited by Glenn (05/15/10 08:08 AM)