Great advise from the previous posts and what they are saying is you need to try some different methods.

What I have now is all four; lightweight merino wool, silk, synthetics, and cotton all in t shirts, 1/4 zip long sleeve, and merino, silk and Hot Chili pants. Now depending on where and when I am going will dictate whether cotton is part of the wardrobe or not. Sometimes I will take 2 short sleeve shirts and sometimes it is 1 of each, but one set always stays dry for wearing around camp and sleeping in.

I have Dri ducks rain gear and it fits really loose so it vents pretty well, a full backpacking SD poncho that has never wetted through and has been tested! 2.75 inches in Zion NP over 5 hours of hiking in October! Everything was dry except the hands, face, and feet and a towel took care of that.

I usually take along a 8x8 UL Syl Tarp that I tie out/setup first and then depending on which tent I have brought along will set it up under the tarp and move it or if I have the TT Rainbow then I just pitch it where I want it. I hate cooking in the vestibules of my expensive tents and the 8 ounces the tarp weighs is wonderful shade from the sun or wonderful dry from the rain.