Originally Posted By Bear

Specifically, I need some help choosing rain gear that will breathe while keeping my dry.

Aren't we all? The problem is that even the most waterproof of materials will eventually wet out in all-day heavy downpours; some just wet-out sooner than others. I find that the best to dry from with-in is air-flow, I believe that core vents or pit-zips combined with a synthetic or wool baselayer can go a long way to manage the moisture that your body creates.

Probably the most breathable fabric is eVent, the problem is that these tend to be rather expensive and I don't believe that there is currently any garment on the market that is completely waterproof and 100% breathable.

I need to choose some light pants or shorts (preferably with cargo pockets) and a shirt that will dry quickly and help retain heat while wet.

Pretty much any hiking pants will dry quickly and offer cargo pockets. I have a pair of MH Mesa that perform great. If you want rain-pants, then I don't believe there are any that have a cargo pocket. Couldn't say about shorts, I use generic running shorts when the conditions arise. Shirts, if you mean button down, then I have no experience since I don't wear them. I just use a Capilene 1 or 3 as a baselayer-- they dry quickly, keep their warmth when wet and wick moisture very quickly.

I know that wool is a natural fiber that does perform well in the situations I'm describing, but I'm not sure what might be available, or even if it as good as other fabrics. It can also be a bit heavy and scratchy.

I am not a lover of Merino wool next to my skin, but wool baselayers are no heavier than most synthetic crews. They keep you warm better when wet, but they don't wick moisture quite as efficently as synthetic.