I have about a dozen alcohol stoves. Many are simple, some less so. If fast boil is your priority you will do well to keep the amount of water to 1-2 cups, get a wider rather than narrower pan, and use a supercat with 1 oz of fuel.

Or, get the Minibull mini-atomic - measure (yes, I know) an ounce into it, screw in the little thumbscrew, dribble a few drops on the wick, light the wick. Drop on the potstand and pot. Fast, straightforward, works consistently. Mine is perfect for the heinie pot or a small ti pot.

White box works great - but you have to listen for the pop of the side jets if it isn't dark enough to see the flames. Put the pot on too soon and it goes out.

Measuring helps. Once you know how much you need to bring your desired amount of water to boil on your stove, measuring helps you avoid wasting fuel.

Caldera cone systems are really nice and consistent, but you have more things to pack that way - tho the caddy doubles as a bowl/cup.

http://hikeandbackpack.com