Originally Posted By MarkNM
well my budget isn't exactly the largest...doing my best to play with some income tax money...
I'm going to get a new bag - synthetic or down???

I would always go with down over synthetic. They are lighter, compress better and have better longevity. You can also find some good down bags for less than $200-- namely Campmor's +20 and REI's Sub-Kilo are excellent for the price.

other than that i really just need some new trail runners, a few clothing items, and probably a new headlamp...i have an old non LED model....

-Trail runners, there is no need to spend a fortune and don't be upsold on the brand spanking new gortex lined, waterproof yadda yadda ya-- you don't need anything special for the act of walking. But most importantly get shoes that fit your feet.

-Headlamp, what is wrong with the one you have? If it works then why buy another one, anyway, there is no need to spend a fortune here either-- some can cost you $50 and up. Personally I use a BD Ion, cost me around $18 brand new and it worked fine for two thru-hikes of the CT.

do i need a pack cover with the primero?

I would save some money here also and just purchase some Hefty Trash Compactor bags-- these are really think plastic bags that once sealed are completely water proof. A lighter and cheaper alternative to a pack cover.

also what do you guys use as a water resovoir? I plan on utilizing my 72 oz camelback in my pack....but when i make water what should i put it in an MSR drom bag?
thanks again!

I personally use a 2L Platypus and a one liter generic store bought water bottle such as SmartWater, Aquafiner or even Gaterade. No need for expensive water holders.