Franco,

How do your tarptents generally fair on the lawn overnight? Much of an issue with condensation?

Most of my backcountry camping is on bare-ish ground, leaves, sandy/rocky soil, etc. I've only slept out on my lawn once, in my contrail, and woke in the morning to more condensation than I've ever seen in any sort of tent, we're talking raining on my bag, and the tent was sagging something terrible. I don't know the relative humidity overnight, but temps were high 30s, low 40s, very calm with nearly no breeze.

The contrail was setup relatively high (rear struts all the way up), but the flap at the toe end was down, and the beak was shut. My other nights out with the contrail, one or both of those have been open, and condensation has been nil.

I'm fairly quick to blame morning dew/transpiration from the grass for the extreme condensation in the TT, but it leaves me worried that if I pitch the thing in any sort of alpine meadow, as is a pretty typical tent site in the high country out west, I'll be inundated with condensation.

Was my backyard campout an anomaly?
Thoughts?