I like the MSR Carbon Reflex 1, which I've had little or no condensation in so far. However, it doesn't meet your criteria for being freestanding (you can approximate freestanding by using your hiking poles, similar to the way you do the Tarptent Rainbow.) Unfortunately, most "freestanding" tents with a vestibule are not fully freestanding: all the vestibules I know of have to be staked out.

It also doesn't meet your criteria for affordability - for that, you might want to look at the Hubba (which, except for the vestibule, is freestanding.)

My main reason for not selecting the Fly Creek is the end entry: it's a bit too awkward, for me, getting in and out. I like the side entry, myself.

You may be setting an impossibly high standard with "absolutely do not want condensation." I've never owned a tent which, under the right combination of temperature, humidity, and "buttoned up" would not produce some condensation. When you say you have lots of condensation, could it be something you're doing - like insisting on sleeping with the door closed, even when it's not raining? I hope I'm not insulting you by asking, but since it's your first post, I don't have a feel for your experience level. I've been out with too many beginners (which I realize may not be you) who create problems for themselves; in particular, I remember my brother and his daughter on their first trip; it was about 75 degrees and 80% humidity under starry skies - and they insisted, despite my advice, on putting the rain fly on and zipping all the doors shut. The next morning, my neice asked me if it had been raining, because their tent fly was soaked on the inside. I pointed out to her that, if it had rained, it would have been soaked on the outside. I slept completely dry in my CR1, without the fly. A few months later, in the Grayson Highlands (AT, near Damascus, VA) on a cloudy, moist, cool night, I slept in the CR1 with the fly on and the door zipped shut. When I got up the next morning, the outside of the fly was very wet, but I had virtually no condensation inside.

By the way, welcome - we're looking forward to hearing how your prep for the AT is going. I've seen a couple of short, 10 or 20 mile sections of it; you have a real treat ahead of you.

Edited by Glenn (05/03/10 09:09 PM)