It's 40 X 60 X 3/8"...the current Oware pads are 1/4" thick. I find that, besides the stickiness of the foam, the size helps prevent slippage in the hammock. I'm careful to lay down to avoid wrinkling and after that the pad moves very little in the hammock. With the width, the pad cups around the shoulders a bit providing extra insulation and wind block there. All in all, I think it's great performance for 7oz.

For sleeping on the ground, the most comfortable pad combo I've ever found utilizes the same Oware pad. I fold it along its long axis and insert my nearly 30-year old ThermaRest. The two together provide super padding and insulation and, again, the boost to the ThermaRest for an extra 7oz is tremendous. And the Oware grips the ThermaRest decently and I've not had much trouble with the older pad slipping out of its taco. grin

As for clothing vs. sleeping bag -- I find some unanticipated benefits. Particular to the hammock and a little to tent camping, there is the ease of nighttime Nature calls. I sleep with booties so there's no fumbling around in the dark, no getting half dressed...just drop out of the hammock and find a suitable tree. When I come back there's no bag to fight into, no quilt to rearrange, nothing to warm back up. smile Similarly, in the cold of a western Montana morning I can wait to dress for the trail and do breakfast, some packing, etc., until things warm up a bit.

All sleep systems are particular to the individual and where/when he/she is camping. Perhaps this style of system is even more specific to the individual and the conditions. But it's working great for me...

FB