Originally Posted By Jimshaw
Jake
what is the actual difference? How much more weight is your girl friend taking this year than when you carried the 50 pound pack? Are you comparing apples to apples? Lets assume that what you said is what you meant. A 60% drop in weight implies that you are carrying fewer things, and you are carrying some
lighter things. How much of the drop is from replacing heavier items with lighter items, and which is from leaving out stuff like 2 bottles of wine, or replacing the canvas tent with a tarp? Does 20 pounds include food? Not if that's your base weight. Did 50 pounds include food, or was that your base weight?
Anyway welcome to the group, you've had your strokes, now tell us some useful information.
Jim smile

Jim,
When i first went backpacking i was using some very heavy gear. i have an REI 4 person tent that i took for just my gf and i. it is a tent made for BPing but so its 5-6. ive replaced that with a nemo gogo. i cut the weight of my cookset in half. i cut my first aid kit down a bit, for instance instead of 10-15 bandages im taking around 5 (which still seems high). the main way i cut weight was leaving behind the things i dont need.

my gf is not carrying anything, as i am going on a solo trip. so i was trying to stress that, really my pack has dropped more than that but im not sure how much she was carrying.

this 20 lb weight doesnt include food, but my trip is a two nighter so i doubt ill have more than 5lbs of food.