I do it "all the time". I use quotes 'cause the temps don't always require the insulated pants.

I hammock most of the time and from the very start I read that wiggling into a bag was a chore. From this, other forums and BackpackingLight, I concluded that sleeping bags were merely an option and hardly necessary. After all, sleeping bags weren't invented until the mid-1800's. But cold weather clothing in my home range is important, May-Oct, and I've incorporated it into my sleep system. Once and only once I used a sleeping bag as a quilt...all other nights in my hammock have been in all or parts of this sleep system:

- insulated jacket w/hood (Integral Designs Dolomitti)
- insulated pants (originally ID Denali, now Bozeman Mountain Works Cocoon)
- various other sleepwear which I always use regardless of hammock or tent, bag, quilt or other; fresh wool base layer, balaclava, fleece glove liners, fresh wool socks and booties.

With a 3/8" Oware CCF pad, this system has kept me comfortable into the mid-20s in the hammock. In the low-20's I felt cold coming through the pad...if I were to augment the pad with my sit pad or use a thicker pad the system's range would drop into the teens.

Besides the acceptable May-Oct temp capability and the convenience of a no-wrestle hammock system, I also get a good dual use function out of my cold weather clothing. Any night, spring thru fall, can have freezing temps around here and, except in the warmest part of summer, I feel I must always carry all of the cold gear. Still, I've never worn it while hoofing down the trail during the day. At night it all makes for a great sleep system and the sleeping bag stays at home saving me that bulk and weight.

Works just as well in a tent on the ground...I just don't need as much since that's a much warmer (though not as comfortable) way to sleep.

I chose synthetic over down partly for a 'safety' issue. Although there are some studies that say otherwise, most believe that down doesn't perform as well when wet. Given that I carry no backup sleeping bag shocked I choose to 'suffer' through the added bulk and weight of the synthetics. FYI, the ID Dolomitti is hugely warm.

Go for it! After some backyard experiments, of course. wink

FB