Hi thanks giggle smile
Many world class experienced professional (outdoors+Persons) differ in their appraisal of any given situation. crazy Dr's or not, shocked they never agree on much of anything.

I have always had to carry about a pound and a half per day of highly dense energy and calories, including tubes of peanut butter and tubes of honey, packages of sweat-rolls for breakfast, tons of granola [doesn't "Granola Bar" sound like a San Francisco sort of thing? :)] I mean that would be so cool: a wood nymph smile would come pushing a cart to your camp with like 50 kinds of granola and creme and chocolate sprinkles. goodjob GRANOLA BAR

My glasses have to be carried in a protective case when I'm wearing sun-glasses and they weigh 5.4 ounces. Now I know half of us wear glasses but I guess that doesn't count since I never see it on any lists. Lets see my key ring weighs 3.5 ounces, not that it couldn't be lighter but that's what it weighs and never mind my wallet. tHE "BASE WEIGHT" GAME HAS GOTTEN OUT OF HAND. i'LL BET i CAN GO FURTHER WITH NOTHING THAN ANYONE HERE. smirk As far as I'm concerned. what matters is putting ALL of my gear that I am actually taking and putting it in my pack, not my pockets, and weighing it. Every pound lost represents a cost of over $10 per ounce or even $30. I just replaced a 30 year old LLBean down parka with a Montbell ultralight down parka weighing about one half as much as the old jacket and saving about 12 ounces, at a cost of $175.00. depending on which pack I take I have a 12 or 13 pounds base weight for a summer trip in the Cascades hoping the weather isn't too inclement. That doesn't include my glasses, camera, fuel, wallet, keys or food which includes chocolate and don't forget water, tent pegs, ropes and lines, etc etc when you add up the weight. And then lets not forget mission hardware - what it is that you need to accomplish your mission once you get out there? So anyway add maybe 6 pounds for a 3 day trip and its 18 to 19 pounds, maybe as much as 20 with the camera and stuff. It still weighs less the more I eat, thus I carry things like chocolate that start out heavy but actually lighten the pack more quickly, so given my option I would start hiking down into a canyon rather than climbing so when I climbed out the pack would be lighter. Thus the "going in weight" and the "coming out weight" become the real important statistical points. How much do you put on your back when you leave your truck, and how much do you carry out?. At any rate I need for at least one third or may 1/4 of the food to be chocolate, especially with peanuts or almonds. plus GORP

Edited by Jimshaw (04/19/10 01:52 AM)