I agree - his food list is skimpy (and I get by on about a pound a day.) In particular, I think his lunch is too light; all he has is two servings of soup mix. He also has no trail snacks at all.

I think this may be enough for him, though; he states early on that he's just taking enough to get by for 3 days - and his idea of "getting by" may mean a growling stomach for 3 days following by a loooong stop at the AYCE restaurant on the way home.

My own menu is probably sparse by most people's standards, but it works for me. I usually eat one of those Quaker oatmeal breakfast squares, or have a packet of instant oatmeal, for breakfast; it depends on whether I want a hot or cold meal. For lunch, I usually go with a whole wheat sandwich round (think English muffin somebody sat on) spread with peanut butter; I usually eat some dried fruit to go with it (a small snack-size box of raisins, or a couple pieces from a bag of mixed fruit.) Supper is usually a single-serving freeze-dried entree, often with a granola bar for dessert. I also carry two granola bars for a morning and afternoon snack (sometimes I'll substitute a packet of nuts for one of the granola bars.) That's how I get by with a somewhat skimpy breakfast and lunch - I eat again in a couple of hours. Not exciting, but it tastes good and keeps me moving.

I know I'd be hungry most of the time if I tried to eliminate those snacks.

Oh, and my summer pack weight, including a pound of food a day and a quart of water, is 19 pounds - using mainstream lightweight gear. In cold weather, with 4 days of food, I'm never over 26 pounds. (Caveat: that's in the more temperate weather of the Eastern US, not in the big mountains where you hike.)