I've seen all the fuel comparison tables but none have mentioned buffalo chips/cow patties. I'm wondering why, when they used to be so popular. And in fact dried dung (herinafter called DD) is still used in so many other parts of the world, notably India.

Now alcohol has its proponents who love its nearly invisible flames, UL stoves and nifty fuel bottles. In fact REAL alky afficiandos usually have several homemede stoves and a handful of commercial ones as well. They also have endless debates and tests on the merits and demerits of each.

But they've never known the heady aroma of burning DD mixed with the savory smells of curried cous cous. Pity, that. And then there is the absolute serendipitous delight of finding "trail DD" in the form of elk or bighorn droppings.

Of course bear DD does not burn well so must be avoided. The same for coyote and fox DD. One must learn that only ungulates provide the correct mix of "processed" plant fibers. Sort of like learning about which type of alcohol works best.

I'm thinking, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the Caldera Cone Tri Ti is the best way to use DD efficiently. Getting it started with some ESBIT has always been my preferred method. But how much more cheerful is a roaring fire of DD than the invisible flames of alcohol. Many's the Mongol who has warmed their yurt with DD and been glad of it when the cruel steppe winds howled outside.

So gentle backpackers, what should I do for fuel? DD or alky? Before you answer consider the merits of "recycled" fuel.

Eric