Originally Posted By DerrickGreen
I'm 5'10" and pretty much an averaged size guy. I have an old ponch liner that I have left over from my time in the Army. It's 5x6 and I've used it as a tarp tent when I was in the Army. Is this good enough for a shelter with a hammock if I am caught in the rain?If not, what tarp should I be looking for? I spent a night in the Ozarks spleeping among the rocks and have sworn off sleeping on the ground ever again. I've never had a good nights sleep in the field and hopefully the hammock will change that. I'm looking into getting a Grand Trunk Nano-7. Has anyone tried this hammock? It's said to be the lightest hammock on the market.

I haven't tried the Nano, but I'm with you on not sleeping on the ground, even to the point of paying a small weight penalty if necessary. I also agree with Phat, that you need a tarp with a minimum 10' ridgeline if there is any chance of inclimate weather. I have a 10 x 10 Granite Gear that works great with my Blackbird but a 10 X 8 would work also. I set it up in the rain and slept in it one night in my yard when we got 4.5", knowing I could bale. I stayed dry as a bone. However, my Switchback requires a minimum of 11', with 12' for bad weather. That's a 12' ridgeline on the setup in my avatar. The cinch rings are only about 6" inside the doors when closed. I can see where it may be a problem some day because of it's length.