Originally Posted By BrianLe

One potential issue that can sort of "get" people about hammocks is that we sort of take for granted having a stable, flat, and unyielding space to be in when tenting, to lay our stuff out and sort through it, lean on an elbow on the ground, etc. With the more limited space inside a hammock, if you drop something it tends to roll underneath you. If you want to shift positions you typically grab some hammock fabric and pull to do that. I'm not saying this is some sort of horrible experience, but I will say that when I'm in the hammock I sort of miss some aspects of having a tent (and sometimes vice versa).

It should also be noted that of all aspects of backpacking equipment, I find that switching to a hammock has the overall steepest and longest learning curve. Partly that's sorting through options to find the right set for you. Partly it's picking up some skills like judging distances between trees, evaluating how level the hammock is (or isn't), figuring out how to stay reliably dry without carrying too much weight in over-tarping, using the right knots or other attachment approach.

I agree about the learning curve. It took me three nights to become convinced that the hammock has potential. Yes, everything in the hammock tends to migrate to directly below you. I learned to hang most things and that has the added benefit that I no longer need to clean gear when I return home because it never touched the ground. I will paste in a long document on how I organize, but the basic idea can be seen in my avatar.

Basic kit:
Warbonnet Traveller double layer hammock with straps - 20.7 oz.
Jacks’R’Better 8'x8' tarp with hangline and stakes - 15.7 oz.
Two GossamerGear .375" closed cell pads - 11.2 oz.
Warbonnet Black Mamba quilt - ?.

Upgrades:
TripTease guylines with glow in the dark LineLocs,
Guylines are butterflied and bundled with a short cord and cordlock on the tarp,
Tarp ridgeline is .5" webbing with ring buckle adjustment,
Easton stakes, and
A hangline with Hennessy pocket and two mitten hooks and a flag clip girth hitched on the line..

Organization:
Pack is empty and between the layers on the foot end of the hammock,
Gloves and watch cap are in the tunnel pocket of my fleece hoodie,
Insulating jacket is in the ZQ2Q Peak Bag that is also the hammock stuff sack,
Clothes bag is a mesh bag used as a pillow,
Clothes bag is tethered to the end of the hammock with shockcord and flag clips,
Rain jacket is binder clipped to the head end ridgeline,
Bathroom stuff sack and hygiene stuff sack hung on headend of hangline with mitten hooks,
Hennessy pocket with glasses, headlamp, book and wet wipes,
One of Hennessy pockets is dedicated trash pocket that is cleaned out in the morning,
First aid kit hung on hangline at footend,
Spinnsheet used as cooking and packing staging is the stand pad under the hammock,
Spinnnsheet is held in place by shoes and water bottle,
Spinnsheet can also be binder clipped to the foot end in heavy weather, and
If your shoes under the hammock are getting blowing rain then tie the laces together and sling over the ridge line.

The hammock ridge line is a part of the hammock I do not use it for much storage.

The hangline is a part of the tarp and is fairly loose.

Food and repair kit are bear bagged away from the hammock.

Stove, fuel and water gear tucked away in a sheltered location away from hammock and food bag.