I have a speer, a hennesey, and a warbonnet. I have used the speer the most. I only recently got the warbonnet, and like it a lot.

Having said that, I would reccomend risk's test hammock (above) as the starting point for any beginner - just to see how you feel in it first.

While I am also a card carrying hammock mafia member - (and have been for oh.. about 8 years now..) and I do think everyone should try it - I will temper my enthusiasm for you just a slight bit..

1) It is *not* for everyone - some people *love* them, other's don't. Try before buying, or borrowing is the best approach until you have at least spent a night in one.

2) It may not be your lightest option. Well in fact it never is, remove tarp from hammock, sleep on ground under tarp without hammock - congrats, you just probably lightened your pack by a pound or two. You need to consider *your own* comfort level in the mix. IF you can sleep *comfortably* on the ground on a short little prolite, zrest, or blue pad, and you don't need the comfort of a hammock to enjoy yourself. honestly, you'll be carrying less weight doing that and sleeping in a little tarptent or under a tarp.

*REAL* example - my brother. I put him in my hammock, he liked it. I put him on the ground on nothing but a blue pad, he still sleeps like a baby - so we talked about it and he made the consious decision *not* to hammock. He simply does not need to. He bought himself a lunar solo tent and loves it - and he's carrying less than he would be hammocking.

Me, I'm not so lucky. I do *NOT* sleep well on the ground on nothing but a thin pad. I love my hammock and use it wherever possible.

All I'm saying is before you accept the gospel of the hammock mafia, remember, everyone *really is* different in how they sleep, and it's very individual.

Browse my pictures