Did a dayhike-snowshoe this past Monday up to Chinns Lake with the CMC (Colorado Mountain Club) that I just joined. It was my first hike with them. Once you join, trips like this are free.

I'm still a year away from attempting any winter camping, and this 8-mile hike to the lake (at 11K) and back was my first test of several items, including my MSR denali classic snowshoes.

Loved 'em! Great traction, and I didn't even use the tails. Best part of the snowshoe is being with five people with ALOT more experience at winter travel than me, and listening to their advice and just observing. I recommend joining a club like this to anyone, and that's from someone who repeats ad nauseum the Twain quote of never joining an organization that would have me as a member.

Here's a two-minute slideshow of the hike (33 images):

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r33/k...mp;t=1263411289

The weather was fantastic, after so much cold for the previous month. Up there (above Idaho Springs) it was crystal clear and about 45, and MUCH warmer in the sun at the lake. I love snowshoeing and the extension of the hiking season to a year-round activity. And just being with a group of super-nice, diverse people, too.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)