Originally Posted By Ryan22
Ok thank you guys for telling me about the having to go in a tent to do the down. I read somewhere about having to do that so it did not get all over but I did not know if that was true. I know I have to figure out how long it would take to make a bag which I think it would take around 5 hours or so. But I am probable wrong. But I will figure out what I would charge for the labor and materials. But I am hoping to make the bag as cheap as possible for right now so I can get my feet in the door then I can raise the price from there. But the only hard part is getting the name out there and proving that you have a good product. Now I was wondering when you have someone test the bag would you guys think that I would make a bag for someone and have them write a review on it and let them keep it?

I think you need to do more research on this before you start. I would, were I thinking about doing this, start by making a down quilt from a kit from Thru Hiker. Then I would look at all the competition - you are competing against Western Mountaineering, Montbell, Marmot, and a host of other down bag makers, WM and Montbell tending to be the top quality contenders in the market. Then I would talk to cottage industry folk who make down gear - Jacks R Better comes to mind, and they wouldn't be direct competition as they make multi-use quilts that primarily are purchased by hammockers, who don't tend to buy down bags - and see how they got started.

Then I would start looking into how to acquire materials I want to use, cost out how much they are, figure how much time will go into each bag, and estimate the retail cost from that. There is, of course, something to be said for experience - that is, as you make more of them you get better at it and take less time.

However, the fact that you don't know a lot about the materials and how to make them yet makes me wonder if you wouldn't be wasting a ton of time and money without some Research and Development up front. Worrying about getting the fame to sell the bags is the last thing you need to think about. You don't do that until you have something to sell. You won't know if you have a good product until you figure out what else is out there.

AS for testing... sleeping bag ratings are all subjective, because all of us have different experiences of warm. Also other factors, like whether you eat before going to bed, whether you are hydrated, etc will play a part in your ability to maintain body warmth at night. The only objective rating scale I'm aware of for sleeping bags are the elusive EN rating standard - not all major manufacturers use it. None of the cottage gear folk use it, but some estimate on the loft of the bag.

One test is not going to let you estimate the warmth of the bag, is what I'm getting around to saying. Which is why I'm saying to look at what else is out there - and to do some study on the qualities of down, and why it works, and how to take care of it, before you even start your business.

I can tell you also that many of us learn the hard way that in sleeping bags, you can get cheap, warm, or compressible - but you can only get two out of three. You CANNOT get a bag that is cheap AND warm AND compressible, unless you are sufficiently lucky to find that one great sale - and if you are, play the lottery while you're at it.

http://hikeandbackpack.com