I am doing a 7 day backpacking trip in Duchesne Utah in January, and am trying to find the most ideal clothing to bring. From what I can tell, the average temps are 33 for the high, 15 for the low. Record lows are -15ish though.

Baselayers. I am trying to decide between some Polartech Powerstretch bottoms (microfleece inner, nylon outer, 88%polyester 12% spandex), and standard mid, heavy, or expedition weight polypro. The polartech has compression, where the polypro fits slightly loose. I know you want a baselayer close to your skin for wicking, but I have also read compression reduces blood flow which makes you cold. Thoughts?

Outer layer bottoms. The only thing I already have are North Face ski pants, with probably 12-14 inch long side vents. I kind of worry I will be too warm while hiking with ski pants if I choose heavyweight baselayers, unless it happens to be extremely cold. Non insulated, 2 layer. I have been told thick wool pants are good also. Thoughts?

I think I have it figured out on tops. Mid weight base layer (unless I decide to spend the money for heavier ones), a fleece of some sort, and both a soft shell and a ski jacket as outer layers. Maybe carry a down vest for in camp. Any recommended changes/additions?

Edited by fadetoblack6902 (12/18/09 10:53 PM)