I got into backpacking because of rock climbing !

I started climbing in 1970 at Devils Lake,WI and in 1972 was invited to spend the summer at a friends cabin above Pinedale in the Wind Rivers. Put 2 and 2 together and I was soon hooked on both.

I make many annual climbing pilgrimages to the Winds after that. Mostly to the northern range and the Gannett Pk/ Titcomb Gorge area, then later to the Cirque and the Deep Lk basin. Climbing was always the focus.

One of the great perks to being a climber locally is up in RMNP and their tech climbers bivy permits. I've signed out to climb Spearhead at the head of Glacier Gorge, the most spectacular setting in all of RMNP, many times, just to get the chance to spend the night up there where hikers are not allowed to.

My big and bold days are probably over now at 54yrs old but I'm doing a lot of Sport Climbing now, to still get to smell chalk and lichen on my hands.

Peaks and summits don't have the same appeal as they did when I was younger though, I'm perfectly content to hike the Winds with a fly rod and camera instead of a rack and rope. My eye is still picking out lines on the faces as I pass, but now I'm content to do a little fishing and some campside bouldering.

Belay off