S
Saw you got rid of the salt/pepper shaker - how do you carry salt/pepper, particularly if you are with a group?

And thats the secret of group camping, someone will carry all of their gear just so they can get a chance to take it, so you can leave out pretty much everything but your sleeping bag, pad, and clothes. Someone will have a 5 pound medical kit, there will be two complete mess kits, about 1,000 feet of food hanging cord etc etc.

Oh man, I have to tell this. My wife who rarely ever backpacks had to stop at the store for a few things we "HAD TO HAVE". So I unknowingly packed 4x 4 ounce salt shakers into hurricane ridge in Olympic park. I flipped when I emptied my pack. I poured all but half an ounce onto a bunch of rocks 50 feet from our tent. When I woke up and looked out the tent door at night, there was about 200 elk licking it up. One stepped on my Sigg fuel/water bottle and badly dented it. Worst part - she cried because of exhaustion from a heavy pack that she insisted she would pack, so it was 8 years before she went again and same thing - tears, almost left her pack in the canyon, and NEVER agin, however after that I have never had to plan trips that she could go on.

there are now some very tiny salt/pepper camping thingies that carry about a gram each.
Jim

Edited by Jimshaw (11/23/09 10:09 PM)