Referencing Tom Trout's thread "All Gore's creations" begun 01/07/08, and the Rain gear and rain strategy thread that Pliny strated yesterday, (1) what are the disadvantages of eVent, and (2) is there another fabric besides Gore/eVent that is low cost, effective, and durable?

Jasonlivy, among others, was very eloquent explaining the differences between the different varieties of GoreTex, and what the advantages and disadvantages of each of those fabrics are.

They also explained why eVent was more breathable than GoreTex in many environments.

The thread also cited eVent as being less durable. Whether this is Gore generated propoganda or not, I'm interested in knowing if there are any eVent users out there who have experienced problems with their eVent garments, and if so, what were they?

Also, is there a lower cost (than Gore or eVent) laminate that has proven to be durable and effective?

I've a practical thrust behind my question. My HyVent NorthFace Shell started delaminating after about 5 years of use, and is no longer watertight despite refreshing the DWR. Both the HyVent and some of the seam tape are peeling off. I need a replacement in the $70-$200 range (less $ is better) and durability is a concern.

Sincerely

Steadman