Originally Posted By aimless
Cougars otoh are pretty much preoccupied with deer, and luckily for us, the deer population is ample to feed them. grin

While that might be the case in in some places, here in Colorado (Boulder to be specific), the cats dining habits seem somewhat different: there are far too many deer in town, so many that plants/gardens/small trees around the house are nibbled on constantly and my wife has had to beat the deer away from our shrubs on many occasions with a broom - they are not afraid of humans in the least. Although the deer are THICK, the most common cat incidents all seem to involve dogs. There were a spat of dog abductions in plain view of their owners several months ago.

I'd be thrilled if the local deer infestation kept the mountain lions adequately interested. Unfortunately, the cats seem to prefer organically fed Fido to deer.

I've installed several motion sensor lights on the back of the house and go out with the dogs whenever it's dark because the cats are right here in town and I live less than 200 yards from where the houses end and nature begins.