Foster's Lager (probably the most famous Aussie beer, at least here in the US) is brewed under license in the US, Russia, and several European countries. Not in China that I am aware of.

Yes, the wages in the US have gone up somewhat since 2000, and I would HOPE that there would be no noticable decrease in quality of a tent made in China vs the identical one made in the US. Matter of fact, I think it was poor quality and high prices that initially sent domestic companies overseas. For example, I have an old REI knapsack that is a piece of junk. For about $75 in 1981, I got a knapsack with unfinished interior seams. Every time I zip up the pockets, I catch stings of nylon that are unravelling from the inside. Also, one of the shoulder straps started pulling out within a few months of purchase, and had to be resewn.

Fast forward to 2005, when I bought a knapsack made for a laptop computer. This is a Chinese-made product that sold for $75 (about $35 in 1981 dollars). Interior seams are finished off perfectly, construction is rugged, and I have used it daily ever since then with nary a problem. I have packed multiple bottles of liquor in it (when we could still carry that stuff on airplanes) along with my computer with ease and comfort.

Not arguing with companies taking production overseas; I just have a problem with what is (in my opinion) excess profiteering. Do I buy the Chinese-made laptop case at $160 when someone else is selling a nearly identical product for $75? No way!

Edited by fritz1255 (09/29/09 12:57 PM)