Originally Posted By Trailrunner

Also....Correct me if I'm wrong but the Whippet's pick faces forward as you walk whereas a properly held axe's pick faces rearward. This seems awkward to me. Not only is the Whippet a different tool but it also requires a different technique. Techniques must be practiced to be effective, especially when your safety is involved.

Well, here it is; There are multiple ways to properly hold an ice axe. One way is to hold it with the pick facing rearward, in preparation for self arrest.

Another way is to hold it with the pick facing forward, and the meat of your hand resting on the adze. This is far more comfortable, and allows a much more powerful stab downward. This is called self belay. If you slip, you simply hang on to the axe and it holds you in place. Thus, each step you take is self belayed by your axe. Naturally, this technique requires you to be ambidextrous, as you always use your uphill hand to handle the axe.

I wouldn't consider the whippet for use in any situation where I would want a real ice axe. I do regularly use an ice tool instead of an ice axe.

The whippet seems ideal for mild slopes where a bit of extra security is necessary, such as the ski mountaineering example.