Hi All - as some of you may have seen in the newbie forum, I'm getting ready for my first winter trip since my early teens (read: my first winter trip since I'm mature enough to think this through). As I've gathered from various posts and other sources, one of the most important aspects of a winter sleep system is the padding/ground insulation.

But I've had a hard time determining how much is enough. I found a resource at http://sectionhiker.com/2009/03/27/sleeping-pad-r-values/ that lists R-Values for various pads, but it doesn't relate to actual comfort at various temperatures. Probably the easiest way (that I can tell) to determine how much is enough padding is to ask for R-Values from you all, so as to play this on a level field.

So I was wondering if anyone can give me some comfty R-Values for their pads at about 0*?

I was thinking of using 2 Ridgerests for their relatively good R-Value of 5.2, low weight, and low cost (not sure how much I'm going to like winter camping). I could always add a 3rd ridgerest I suppose, depending on your feedback.

Thanks!