Hmm, having just suggested over there that a 32-degree bag works for me in some parts of the Cascades in July ...

Not meaning to defend (or attack) BPL here, but I haven't sensed a general attack-dog mentality there. I think it's about expectations. I'm not an ultralight backpacker, and while I haven't ever posted a list over there, I don't suspect it would be too beaten up by most folks so long as I made clear what I was aiming for. Certainly there would be posts suggesting how I could go lighter in ways that I wouldn't want to go, but it's always possible to get an insight from such feedback.

At any rate, I think it's possible to get ideas about lightening up by reading a lot of existing gear list threads, without any risk of feeling personally attacked. There, here, on whiteblaze, probably other places as well.

Okay, since I'm talking here maybe I should add to the actual thread content ... smile

One approach to posting a gear list (or anything) is to check with your ISP (internet service provider) to see if they offer any space to their users for web content. It's not major rocket science to learn how to use an FTP tool to upload an html web page to anywhere you can get permission to post such content to. And both MS Word and Excel allow you to add links in your content and save the result as an html page that can be so-uploaded.

If this sounds a little too geeky for you, perhaps you're related to or acquainted with a local geek who could walk you through the steps. Just avoid them talking you into some more complicated-yet-elegant scheme that represents how *they* would do it, and stick with a simple approach. I've built a web content process for a non-profit using strictly MS Word as the creation tool, and while indeed the underlying html is ugly stuff, a casual user doesn't need to know or care.