Just after I bought a pair of Leki Carbonlite poles on sale, Gossamer Gear announced that they were going to put out a version of the Lightrek 4 poles with straps. They are now on the market, although the regular size is currently out of stock.

I have to have the straps--I put a lot of weight on my poles at times, and gripping the pole to do so (instead of putting my weight on the strap) aggravates my carpal tunnel syndrome.

I don't really want to buy another set of poles to save 5 ounces, having already spent too much money to save 11 oz. on my tent and 8 oz. on my sleeping pad. I'll therefore stick with the Lekis for a while. I've used Lekis since 1989 (back then it was a single adjustable walking stick) and been very happy with them (I still use my heavier 5-year-old Leki Makalu poles for exercise walking and conditioning hikes). At some point, though, I'm sure I'll end up with the Gossamer Gear poles.

After a year's hiatus, Titanium Goat has their Adjustable Goat poles back in stock. They come with or without straps.

Fixed length doesn't work for me, either--I need 105 cm. for hiking, but my shelters require 110 to 125 cm.

While researching poles last fall (looking for lighter poles than the 18-oz. Leki Makalus), I found that Black Diamond poles, even the carbon fiber ones, are definitely heavier. I also had a lot of problems working the flicklocks on the ones I tried in the store. Probably not a problem for those with more strength in their fingers than I have!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/29/09 09:56 AM)