OK, they seriously need to put a disclaimer on the site, this UL business is addicting!

I've been really looking at my pack weight relative to my camping "style", and the question of if I really need my headlamp has come up. I have a nice light headlamp (a Princeton Tec Fuel), but it always winds up in my "didn't even think about using" pile post-trip. My normal day on the trail has me with shelter up, dinner eaten and crawling into my bag when the sun goes down, and I don't read or write in a journal when I'm out by myself.

I've been considering replacing the headlamp with two of the small LED lights that many folks carry as a backup light source. I also toyed with just buying a lighter headlamp, but I don't particularly want to shell out 30 or 45 bucks on a peice of equipment that I already have and probably won't use except very rarely, if at all.

But I'm also a little unsure, mainly because of the idea that this isn't just fooling with different options for shelter or multipurpose items. This is making a change to the essentials that everyone swears by.

Anyone have any feedback or experiences either way?