Originally Posted By jpanderson80

Now, I have to figure out how to stay warm... hmmm...

Ways I have seen or read about to stay warm in a hammock:

* a garlington insulator - poncho or tarp, big black trash bags, space blankets loosely rolled up in the bags and inserted in the tarp which hangs beneath the hammock. reportedly this is quite toasty.

* underquilts - spendy whether you buy or make them, but once you have a system that works, ultimately very comfy and straightforward. And should it become very very cold, going to ground would leave you with your underquilt and your top quilt to put OVER you.

* pads - versatile and can be used if you are forced to ground, or if your underquilt is confronted with more cold than it can handle, the pad can go into the hammock for added insulation. Any pad will work, even inflatables (just half inflate them). The cheap walmart blue ccf took me to freezing all by itself.

* for Hennessy users, there is a commercially produced Super Shelter - but I have seen one in person and would not bother with it. The pad you already have is more versatile.

* another just-in-case measure, if your insulation is outpaced by the cold - lower the hammock to within inches of the ground, and heap up leaves all around and under it.

* peapod - Speer makes these and they look fabbo. I'm too claustrophobic to consider it, tho.

* hammock overcover, or sock - goes over the bugnetting (cover) or over the whole hammock (sock) and adds warmth pretty much the way a tent would, by enclosing you and trapping the air. You need some sort of ventilation but quite effective.

* insulated hammock - I have seen pics of DIY hammocks with baffles or insulation sewn right into the hammock itself.

* hammock tent with a stove - for below zero winter camping, in combination with peapods and other cold weather gear.

This is noninclusive, of course. I keep it simple with pads and underquilts.

http://hikeandbackpack.com