Just to agree with Jim here, if you're not already a fisherman don't take a fly rod. I do because I already flyfish, and I have more fun with it, but it's somewhat difficult to master. It is much easier to start with a spinning rig - and you can cast it further, hence my comment about "if I was meat fishing".

If you are ending up in trout country in lakes, with a spinning rod, unless you have a canoe to fish from, I mentioned the adjust-a-bubble. I highly reccomend you take a couple of these with you:

How you use 'em is you put your line through the rubber tube in the middle, and then twist the tube around so it holds on the line, leaving about 5 or 6 feet of line at the far end of it. You tie yourself a nice little fly or nymph on the end of your line (up here a nice little montana, damselfly, or scud nymph), then you can open the end of the bubble and fill it with water to the point that it barely floats. now it has enough weight so you can cast it a looooong way. so you can heave it a ways into a lake, then retrieve very very slowly, so the float barely makes a ripple in the water. makes it easy to fish from shore effectively.

Browse my pictures