I know somewhere there is a thread of stories such as this, but I can't find it, so here goes.
I cook on a fire using ingredients available from a normal grocery store. I do not ever use "add boiling water" foods. The process of gathering wood, getting a fire started, getting a bed of coals, positioning a grill over the coals,cooking beans (for example), cutting garlic..potatos..sundried tomatos..onions..carrots..and doing this in near darkness with smoke blowing into your eyes..and trying to keep the fire going...is what life is all about. Often the process takes several hours from firewood gathering to eating the finished product.
One of my handy designs was what I call a "spoon necklace"...a length of paracord that allows my spoon to reach to the pot so that sampling and adding spices is facilitated. I came up with this idea because loose spoons are easily misplaced..whiskey being a pre-dinner imperative. The cordage is then pulled tight around my neck by the use of the simple "double fishermans' bend".
On one particular evening , my efforts had resulted in a tempting aroma that permeated the forest. I bent over to sample my masterpiece. My backpacking buddy asked me how it was. I proudly said "It's ready to eat and it's really good." Unknown to me, my "spoon necklace" had wrapped itself around the handle of my pot...as I stood up, the pot flipped over in a single smooth motion and emptied my entree into the fire and onto the ground. Fortunately I had enough whiskey to help me tolerate the 15 minutes or so of hysterical laughter of my friend. I managed to laugh as well, but not just at that moment.