Hi, Guys-

Hubby has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. I'm happy that he is trying to lose weight and take care of his health, but his meals now look like he is allergic to starchy veggies and grains. He is passing on potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, etc. I'm hoping that this apparent complex carb allergy is temporary, and by summer, he is eating a controlled number of carbs, rather than this ban normal energy sources.

OK, he is not a backpacker, but we will be on a fly-drive-camping trip this summer. I found a deal on some freeze-dried meals and thought the camping protion of our trip had dinners covered. The best-laid plans...

So, I'm now trying to think up what I can look at for lower carb foods with some quality that I can dehydrate successfully. I'm thinking that cabbage, and snow peas may become some of my new my best friends. Broccoli and green beans can work but I'm not picturing them rehydrating into a good heap for filling up.

Shredded cabbage can look an awful lot like noodles and be a cheap filler. Add some tomato paste, a little peanut butter, and some Splenda, and I might have something resembling Pad Thai. To that, I should be able to add dehydrated red bell peppers, maybe a little carrot, and one of several proteins (surimi -limited because it has sugar-/ground beef or turkey/dried shrimp)

Shredded cabbage in a soup base plus ginger and garlic, add a few more veggies and proteins as above, for another Asian-inspired taste.

Cabbage plus a few more veggies, cider vinegar, Splenda, garlic, some shredded or ground pork or turkey.

I should be able to make the above work. I've dehydrated these and been happy with them when rehydrated.

My question to the group-Have any of you dehydrated and rehydrated cooked low-carb pasta successfully?

Other ideas for low-carb meals that I can prepare at home and pack for the road?

I did recently buy DreamFields pasta that I have yet to try at home. I'm hoping that eventually we will be eating more "normally," just using whole grain products (barley, whole wheat pasta and breads, bulgur, cornmeal, brown rice, low-processed oatmeal)in controlled amounts. (I read somewhere that Basamati rice has the same glycemic index as brown rice, so maybe that, too.) If we were backpacking, per se, carb intake could be greatly increased, but that is not what I'm trying to address right now.

CamperMom