I am sick of hiking boots. They are heavy, too rigid around the heels, I've never needed the extra stability, and they dig into the outsides of my shins as I'm bowlegged. This was the result of my hike yesterday:

....This was on both feet after I cut down the top of the boots to relieve the pressure on my bowlegged shins. I guess if it's not one thing, it's another, right? hehe. I've tried moleskin, vasoline around my heels, wearing various boots casually around town for hours b4 I hiked in them etc.

Anyway, I've given up on hiking boots. (No I don't need your suggestion on another hiking boot that works for you or how you break in shoes ) For winter trail walking w/ the possibility to go through some stuff around 5 inches...I was thinking of waterproof trailrunners or mid-height hiking shows and gaitors. I've never had trouble with sneaker-esk footwear. I was thinking of gaitors like this:

I like the way they do the loop under your foot. If it wears away you can easily replace it with another lace.

And....low trailrunners like this:

Low hikers

but I'm wondering if most gaitors won't go down far enough on a waterproof sneaker like that or do I need a mid-height boot/show like this:

Mid Hikers

Also...I see a lot of what looks like mesh/synthetic uppers that have goretex membranes...do they actually work or do you need something that is more a leather/non-mesh upper to really be waterproof when you're in 5in of snow all day?

Thanks!