I'm not trying to start a firestorm here, but I do have a question: It seems like I see a lot of TarpTents, usually used only a few times, offered for sale in the Buy and Sell Gear Forum. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea why this is so?

I can think of a couple of reasons, but have no clue as to whether they are valid.

There's the obvious: people aren't pleased with the quality. However, having owned a couple (and given them away because I just couldn't get the warm fuzzies, for no particularly objective reason), I can't imagine this being the reason. They seem to be well-made, and they pitch reasonably easily.

Is it durability? They are built with lighter fabrics, but I'm not sure the fabrics are any lighter than those used by Big Agnes or MSR - and I don't see many of those on the for-sale list.

Could it be that people are simply trying to find the particular model they like, and selling the old one when they find a new one they like better? Henry is incredibly innovative, and offers a number of designs that address different needs. So, maybe people are simply experimenting until they find just the right one?

Like I said, I'm not trying to cast aspersions on the TarpTent. I'm impressed with them, even though I've chosen not to use them myself. (Main reason: in the Ohio valley, I prefer an inner tent that is all-mesh because it's cooler in the summer. I can pitch it without the fly, and have 360-degree ventilation - I've found the TarpTents, in my back yard, were warmer because the fly was always pitched. Like I said, personal preference, not objective reasons.)

Just got curious and decided to ask.