I really like to toast my regular rolled oats (not the quick oats mush), at home, in a cast iron dutch oven.
On low/moderate heat I warm up my pan and then throw in about 1 cup of oats and stir constantly with a wooden spatula until everything is nice & toasted, then pour them in a ceramic bowl I use for cooling, add more oats to the pan & keep toasting. I love the aroma while do it and I love the flavor later.
I add boiling water to make oats, just as usual, but the flavor is more wholesome (to me).
I also add the toasted oats to gorp. Very tasty. I think the toasted (pre-cooked) oats is easier on the digestion when eaten dry in gorp.

I also have lots (like 1/2 a ton at least)of canned, stored, whole winter wheat (courtesy of my association with some Mormon friends, they have/know the cheapest sources for oats, wheat, beans, rice etc, contact your local ward and be prepared to buy 25-50lb bags at a time but far cheaper than the grocery store)
I toast my whole wheat similarly, 1/3-1/2 cup at a time. Stirring constantly with a wooden spatula, the kernels pop & wiggle and when they slow down or stop and they look nice & toasted I pour them off into a ceramic bowl to cool down, add more wheat to the pan and keep toasting until I have a quart of toasted wheat in the cooling bowl.
I use the toasted wheat kernels like nuts, added to gorp or alone.
If I run the toasted wheat thru a grinder set to just crack the kernel & bust it up, the coarse ground toasted wheat is bulgar. To use bulgar, add boiling water to cover, let sit a few minutes, add a little honey or drop in a chocolate chip to melt, dissolve & stir in. Wonderful.

I just made some toasted oats for breakfast this morning & am getting ready for a campout later this month. Just thought I'd share.