I'm looking for input and your experience with lightweight headlamps, say 2 oz. or less and preferably no more than 1.5 oz.

While I am very satisfied with the Princeton Tec headlamp that I've had for several years (can't remember the model but I think it's an older Eos), I'd love to find something lighter than its 3.3 ounces (with lithium batteries). I will continue to use the old one for short trips and dayhikes (especially for early spring, late fall and winter when I'm more apt to have to hike at night), but I'm looking to shave ounces for longer summer trips (shave enough ounces here and there and they do add up to pounds!).

Use will be for summer backpacking trips, some at high elevations (think Rockies) where it gets cold, often below freezing, at night. Any night hiking would be only in a dire emergency, but I need to be able to cook dinner, read in bed, exit the tent several times per night. I want to be able to use lithium batteries because they are lighter and longer-lasting, especially in cold weather.

I've been looking at the lighter weight headlamps. I have questions about all of them that aren't answered on the manufacturers' websites or with google searches.

Black Diamond Ion--this one looks like a relatively short battery life and has a weird battery, so unless some of you have better things to say about this one, I'll probably forget it.

Petzl E+ light--I've had bad experiences with Petzl in the past, but this one does look like the best of the really light-weight (under 1.5 oz.) headlamps. I'm concerned about water resistance in heavy rain and how well it will hold up under backpacking conditions. Will it break if my dog (80 lb.) steps on it?

Princeton Tec Scout--reviews have been bad, especially about its fragility, and, unlike other Princeton Tec headlamps, this one is non-regulated, [Edit: it uses 4 lithium coin-style batteries and does have a reasonably long battery life]. It seems a shame that Princeton Tec couldn't do better with this one. Is there any chance they'll improve it?

Mammut Lucido Tx Lite--This one looks very interesting but I can't find out anywhere, even on the manufacturer's website, if it is regulated or if it can use lithium batteries. With this one I'd save a little less than one ounce, (weighs 2.5 oz. with 3 AAA alkaline batteries) so I'm wondering if it's even worth bothering about. I haven't found any reviews, probably because it's quite new.

Zebra H50-Q5 headlamp--Another interesting one, fully regulated, can use lithium batteries (uses 1 AA). Weight with battery 2.0 oz. I have found good reviews but none from backpackers, so I don't know how well it will hold up in adverse backcountry conditions. Have any of you fellow-backpackers used this one? Unless it's really good, I don't know if I want to spend $49 plus shipping to save 1.3 ounces.

I'd greatly appreciate any input you folks can give me on these lights or on others that my research missed that meet my criteria.

Should I just stick with the headlamp I have and shave weight elsewhere? Or should I wait for technology to catch up with what I want? While I don't really need a lighter headlamp until next spring, I was hoping to put it on my Christmas gift wish list so I could get it for free!

Edited by OregonMouse (09/26/08 10:03 PM)