Try joining this free Yahoo group for a lot of great help and ideas.

<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/preserving-food>

When I had time to participate, the two favorites were the (Cadillac variety) Excalibur and a model from Walmart, maybe the American Harvest. Two important features for quality results are heat control and a fan. The Excalibur models have both, while some also feature timers. The Excaliburs also have fans that blow across the food from the back, so the need to turn or rotate food is greatly diminished.

I burned out several cheap models before biting the bullet and buying an Excalibur through e-Bay. I have had no regrets over having spent the extra bucks to buy the Excalibur. You might want to try to get a used one from either Amazon or eBay. You could always use the Amazon certificate for recipe books, trail guides,maps, etc., if you don't find the dehydrator you want there.

If you have the time to fiddle with building even a make-shift dehydrator, make sure that you can control the heat. You will need a vented box of some sort and a heat source. In a pinch, I've propped my microwave open and used my hair dryer on low for heat ahd air movement. That isn't too efficeint and is very noisy. You might want to look on-line for plans. I saw someyears ago that used lightbulbs, and oven thermometer, and a "muffin fan."

Meats need to be dehydrated at a higher heat than fruits and vegetables. That Yahoo group may have some charts in the member files that can help with guidelines.

Another thing you may wish to consider for purchase is a vacuum-sealer. I like to vacuum dehydrated foods in glass jars to combine into meals later. VAcuum-sealing keeps foods fresher longer.

Good Luck!

CamperMom