I am always amazed at how different many folks view hiking food than I do. My food tastes are just plain barbarian. I just want to eat something and get on with it and I am not a bit interested in a gourmet experience, at least not if I have to prepare it. My usual diet comes out to about one pound per day and I do not know if I am loosing or maintaining my weight while hiking. Folks have told me that I look like I lost weight but since I am not sure what I weighed before I left I am never too sure. I have gone on 2 week + trips and I seem to survive just fine. I am sure that if I were to go on longer trips I would have to pay more attention to my food. All the talk about getting enough carbs, fat etc. strikes me as being irrelevant on short trips. Most of us could live on pop tarts, mac and cheese or bread and peanut butter for two weeks and not suffer any ill effects. I am not putting down the folks who view this differently than I do but for me planning and preparing food is the least enjoyable part of any trip. YMMV