Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198808 - 07/24/17 07:01 AM Dunkirk movie
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
My wife and I went to see the movie "Dunkirk" yesterday. It was an epic story, told as poorly as possible. If you believe the movie, about 30 small ships made their way across the English Channel, watching as every Royal Navy ship was sunk. These 30 small ships pulled 340,000 troops off the beach in one trip. (The movie said 300,000 were evacuated - but that was just one minor inaccuracy in an otherwise inane plot.) Oh, yes, and 3 RAF pilots eliminated the German Air Force (all 5 of them.) All 3 were shot down; the third was able to glide for about an hour (or maybe it just seemed like it) after he ran out of fuel. On a side note, a dozen Brits, including the two fellows who've been on all the talk shows plugging the movie, spent half the movie hiding in an abandoned boat that had washed up on the beach and was being used by the Germans for target practice. I'm not quite sure why they did that, or what happened to them - or maybe I had just quit paying attention or caring by that point. All of this was told in an extremely disjointed manner, with little to no continuity from one scene to the next. There was never any explanation of how the English ended up at Dunkirk in the movie - two minutes of dialog, or a voice-over as arrows moved around on a map, would have helped put the whole thing in perspective.

In truth, this was a 10 day operation, with hundreds of small ships plus 40 destroyers and assorted other navy vessels making multiple crossings of the channel. It was a well-organized withdrawal to the beaches and well-organized evacuation effort pulled together on short notice. The 350,000 troops who were saved went on to battle in North Africa, Sicily, and would eventually return to France in June, 1944. Had they been lost, Britain would have been invaded, and the US would not have had a base from which to invade the continent. This story deserved to be told in the epic manner of "The Battle of Britain", "The Longest Day," or "A Bridge Too Far" (though I'm not sure we have enough talented actors any more to make an "all-star cast" large enough to pull it off.) There was so much to tell here, and the movie missed it all.

The movie sank to the level of "Pearl Harbor" (the one with Ben Affleck, not "Tora, Tora, Tora.") Don't waste your money or your time on it.

#198820 - 07/27/17 08:59 AM Re: Dunkirk movie [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Saw the movie. I wasn't disappointed and didn't really expect it to portray the entire actual operation. The story was told in three different time lines which kinda worked. My brain looks for tech flaws and as a pilot, I enjoyed the flying scenes. However, that last Spitfire ran out of fuel, glided for half an hour, shot down a Messerschmitt Me109 on the way, then safely landed on the beach. The pilot set his plane on fire with a flare gun...and that's where I discovered his problem. That airplane had no engine! And burnt like it had full fuel! Oh well. grin

#198821 - 07/27/17 01:34 PM Re: Dunkirk movie [Re: Dryer]

Yeah, I forgot to mention the no-rule, gliding shoot-down.

I'm also not sure why he glided all the way past the Brit-held beach so he could be taken prisoner by the Germans. He appeared to have enough flight controls to circle and land behind friendly lines. (I'm assuming the targets - er, i mean, "trooops" - lined up on the beach would have broken ranks long enough to allow that.

I think my expectation threshold got me - same thing happened with Pearl Harbor. I was expecting a Longest Day-style movie, and had it turn out to be more of an individual memoir(s). So, the movie may have been OK, but appeared lousy because I was expecting something else. (Suffice to say, I won't be ordering it from Amazon.)

I did like the father who took his boat over - seemed to be the only character with a clear idea of what he was supposed to be doing.

#198822 - 07/27/17 02:30 PM Re: Dunkirk movie [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Dryer Offline

Spitfires are known for a fairly flat glide...something like 15:1. Turning back in a glide is fatal...the turn burns up airspeed, so I can see why he landed straight ahead. He may have not known the beach was enemy held. But if you look at the nose while the airplane was burning on the beach, you can see the stage set structure...no engine behind that prop! And empty fuel doesn't burn much at all.

I too like the old guy and his son/friend and is why I saw the movie. I saw the digital version. I'll probably go see the 70mm film version just to see the difference.

#198823 - 07/27/17 03:30 PM Re: Dunkirk movie [Re: Dryer]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I don't know much about WWII warbirds, but 15/1 is higher than I would have guessed. I wonder what the start altitude would have to be for a 30 minute flight, assuming typical weather (lift/sink). The Spitfire Wikipedia page didn't have a minimum sink rate for it. At least with no fuel, it'd be at it's lightest.

#198824 - 07/27/17 04:06 PM Re: Dunkirk movie [Re: Dryer]

Or maybe he just wanted out of the movie...

Yeah, funny how the missing engine didn't affect the flight. I like to spot detail issues, too. I remember thinking, in Walk in the Woods (which I did like, just because it was a good buddy movie that accidentally included backpacking), when Redford and Nolte fell into the creek, that they probably wouldn't have fallen if their hiking poles had been in their hands instead of lashed to their packs.

#198828 - 07/28/17 09:31 AM Re: Dunkirk movie [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Dryer Offline

Ha! I remember Walk in the Woods and all the trekking poles on the packs. Plus, they always looked way too fresh. I loved the book....the movie was a good try but way too short.

I just finished a book "Lost on the Appalachian Trail" by Kyle Rohrig....he and his little dog thru hiked the thing and is the best account I've read of how it really is. Ain't no Walk in the Woods. grin

Anyway, other than the Spitfire issues, all the flying scenes were pretty accurate. Big ships rolling over would be quite the special effects task. I'm with you on the Pearl Harbor movie....dumb...not epic.

#198991 - 08/30/17 12:21 AM Re: Dunkirk movie [Re: Dryer]
TravelGenesi Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida
Originally Posted By Dryer
I'm with you on the Pearl Harbor movie....dumb...not epic.

Yup, that sums up the Pearl Harbor movie as a whole. grin

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum