Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99787 - 07/15/08 04:37 PM Water filters.
12Step Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Over time and patience I have finally obtained just about everything I need for multi day backpacking trips except one. A good, quality, dependable, easy to use and clean water filter.

I plan on only hiking in the US so I don't think I need viral protection, so the purpose of this post is to see what the majority of you agree on what the best water filter is out there.

So far I have my eye on MSR products, specifically the Hyperflow.

Tom

Edited by 12Step (07/15/08 04:40 PM)

#99788 - 07/15/08 06:47 PM Re: Water filters. [Re: 12Step]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Best tasting water, First Need. You can cobble up a gravity feed filter for camp pretty cheap. I have a Pur Hiker also, one of the originals, can be flushed out in the field, although I wait to get home, hasn't been used for four to five years as I have used my First Need for the flavor or none. Some other great models that are lightweight out there. Do a search on the forum here too.

#99789 - 07/15/08 09:49 PM Re: Water filters. [Re: 12Step]
speyguy Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
The very first water filter I bought was the First Need. I used it for a lot of years until it clogged. It's not field cleanable and I never considered it to be very user friendly. The next one I bought was the MSR Sweet Water. I have owned and used that one for about 15 years. I thought it was a much more user friendly pump and the fact that it is field cleanable is a big plus. A couple of years back I was on day 5 of a 7 day hike and the pump broke. I had to cut my hike short. Since I had just bought a replacement filter for it, I contacted MSR to see if I could get the part I needed and they just sent me a whole new pump free of charge. Great customer service. Earlier this year I bought the ULA Amigo Pro gravity filter. I really like it. I don't pump any more. It's so easy and works so well. It fills my 4 liter Dromelite bag within a few minutes. Then I just refill the the filter bag and hang it in camp and have about another 4 liters on tap. I would urge you to give the ULA or one of the other gravity filters serious consideration.

#99790 - 07/15/08 11:30 PM Re: Water filters. [Re: speyguy]
lori Offline

Quote:
Earlier this year I bought the ULA Amigo Pro gravity filter. I really like it. I don't pump any more. It's so easy and works so well. It fills my 4 liter Dromelite bag within a few minutes. Then I just refill the the filter bag and hang it in camp and have about another 4 liters on tap. I would urge you to give the ULA or one of the other gravity filters serious consideration.

+1

I like that I can filter and do other things - with the bladder connector the filter stops when the Platypus is full, and you can squeeze the valve, switch over to another bladder, open the valve, and go back to setting up the tent or starting dinner. I refill bottles for some of my hiking group on longer day hikes - a couple of them are now ordering one of their own. Personally, simple and less breakable works better for me; I tend to be a klutz. That it's less expensive than other methods and lighter than the plastic pump filters is a plus-plus.

Nice that it doubles as a shower, too.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#99791 - 07/16/08 11:13 AM Re: Water filters. [Re: 12Step]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“I plan on only hiking in the US”

Well that about sums up my water experience. I do go into places with pesticide runoff. Most of the lakes I run into at low altitude are brown/green/murky. I’ve tried several filters and only my First Need has turned the water pure clear. Most filters just let the brown color pass through and psychologically it’s hard for me to drink (even though nasties are filtered out).

I also like how the First Need has NO parts to assemble while backpacking except attaching your bottle. I’ve never had a filter clog. I don’t even bring a spare cartridge on my trips. However, if I’m gone for 2 weeks, I’ll start with a fresh cartridge to be safe. First Need has a smaller lighter version but it looks slower and that will hurt because we usually use 1 filter for 2-6 people.

-Barry

#99792 - 07/16/08 06:54 PM Re: Water filters. [Re: lori]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
lori, there was mention from a fellow bper on another small group I belong to and he mentioned also about a connector for hooking up a filter to a bladders outlet hose. That would be handy when perched on a log or group of unfriendly rocks trying to filter water into a bladder. I just use a bottle then. I need to search that out for when I bring a filter on shorter trips or where I suspect the water to be less pure.

#99793 - 07/17/08 07:30 AM Re: Water filters. [Re: hikerduane]
lori Offline

Quote:
lori, there was mention from a fellow bper on another small group I belong to and he mentioned also about a connector for hooking up a filter to a bladders outlet hose. That would be handy when perched on a log or group of unfriendly rocks trying to filter water into a bladder. I just use a bottle then. I need to search that out for when I bring a filter on shorter trips or where I suspect the water to be less pure.

Couldn't do that with the platypus bladders - or rather, there's no reason to, disconnect the hose from the connector already on the bladder, connect the filter hose. The camelbak, maybe, you have to put the filter hose in the wide mouth as there is no adapter.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum