Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97627 - 06/07/08 06:21 PM Can you waterproof a "down" sleeping bag?
scrodman Offline

Loc: PA
I just bought a Kelty 20 degree down sleeping bag. How can I make the fabric waterproof? Can I spray it, or wash it with waterproofer? Will it hold up?
What's the "downside"?
Insulation 650-fill-power goose down
Inner Shell P300T polyester microfiber pongee
Outer Shell PR349T polyester diamond cross-dye ripstop

#97628 - 06/07/08 06:43 PM Re: Can you waterproof a "down" sleeping bag? [Re: scrodman]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I assume that you are talking about waterproofing the outside of the bag to keep rain water from getting to the down. The problem is that waterproofing a bag will also make it vapor (sweat) proof and you will get condensation on the inside of the waterproof fabric. This condensation will wet the down and the down will loose its insulation properties. You could also waterproof both the inner and outer fabric. The down would stay dry but you wouldn't.

#97629 - 06/07/08 07:00 PM Re: Can you waterproof a "down" sleeping bag? [Re: Pika]
scrodman Offline

Loc: PA
Thanks, Pika. When I read about these waterproof down bags (outside waterproofness) They claim to be "breathable" waterproof fabric.
Can I treat my bag to be breathable?

#97630 - 06/07/08 07:25 PM Re: Can you waterproof a "down" sleeping bag? [Re: scrodman]
lori Offline

I would get a waterproof bivy/sleeping bag cover instead of treating the bag. That way when you use it under normal conditions/nice weather, the bag breathes to let your perspiration out rather than collecting it, and in wet weather you can tuck the bag into the waterproof cover and dry it out fully later.

People get paranoid about down getting wet. If you're somewhere humid or rain breaks out and you haven't somehow protected the contents of your pack, I can understand worry. In a campout in the Sierra (for example) where weather is unpredictable but not monsoon-like, keeping the bag in a dry sack and using a pack liner or cover then only unpacking the bag inside the dry shelter out of the rain shouldn't be difficult.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#97631 - 06/07/08 07:53 PM Re: Can you waterproof a "down" sleeping bag? [Re: scrodman]
Roocketman Offline

Quote:
Thanks, Pika. When I read about these waterproof down bags (outside waterproofness) They claim to be "breathable" waterproof fabric.
Can I treat my bag to be breathable?

Yes.

1) Remove existing outside fabric layer

2) sew on a new waterproof and breathable outer fabric layer.

The sewing part might get a little tricky, as you have to sew to the interior baffles and not let all of the down blow away while you are working on it.

#97632 - 06/10/08 03:37 AM Re: Can you waterproof a "down" sleeping bag? [Re: scrodman]
TurkeyBacon Offline

Loc: Boston
I'll second the bivy concept. But in reality, why do you want to waterproof it? If you use a propper shelter you should not need a waterproof bag. If you use a mini tarp then maybe the foot box, but even then, making your mini tarp larger would weigh less than the W/B fabric foot bivy. A little mist is not going to hurt your bag unless its realy cold. And if its realy cold, a better shelter is needed.
I'm not up to date on what materials are used, but they are not normal gortex, they breath better and somehow are just as waterproof (?).
Scott

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum