Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95734 - 05/05/08 01:13 PM Ursack Strikes Back
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
This is not new news and it's not news at all for some, but here's a partial quote from the Ursack website:

April 4, 2008
Ursack has reluctantly, but resolutely, filed suit against the Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group (SIBBG) asking the court to reverse what we believe is SIBBG's arbitrary and capricious decision to withdraw approval of the Ursack S29 Hybrid. We are joined in this suit by some representative backpackers including: a former Tuolomne Meadows ranger, a college chemistry professor, and the holder of the record for the fastest self-contained female solo of the John Muir Trail. There is no way to predict, at this point, when or how the case will be resolved, but it is at least possible that Ursacks will once again be allowed in the restricted areas of the Sierra this summer.

"The lawsuit does not seek money. Instead, it asks that Ursack be evaluated objectively, and that backpackers' needs be factored into any decision that prohibits the use of Ursack or any other product. SIBBG's decision to ban Ursack was based on the allegation of 6 failures. There is no such thing as a bear "proof" container. All canisters have failed at one time or another. SIBBG refuses to produce evidence of these alleged Ursack failures, but we know from SIBBG's written description that in two cases bears got no food, and in two cases the problem was user error--the Ursacks were not torn and could be effectively used again today. Because we don't have the evidence, we don't know what happened in the other two incidents."

Just my luck, I bought mine a few months before their approval was rescinded. I only had a chance to use it on one trip.

Maybe Ursack has a chance. I wish them luck in court. And don't forget there are still lots of areas that still allow them.

#95735 - 05/05/08 07:08 PM Re: Ursack Strikes Back [Re: Trailrunner]
jshannon Offline

Loc: North Texas
They don't have a chance in hades of winning against the SIBBG...he'll just put himself into bankruptcy quicker.

#95736 - 05/05/08 07:12 PM Re: Ursack Strikes Back [Re: Trailrunner]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I use my original TKO in places. Those newer ones sure are purdy.:)

#95737 - 05/07/08 06:59 AM Re: Ursack Strikes Back [Re: jshannon]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
Quote:
he'll just put himself into bankruptcy quicker.

Yet, nearly everywhere else in the US you can use an Ursack. I own two and have been a happy user since around 2001. Due to my preaching I have had at least 30 or more friends buy one since then. Out here we love our Ursacks.

For some reason just the word 'Ursack' brings the hating out......

#95738 - 05/07/08 09:17 AM Re: Ursack Strikes Back [Re: sarbar]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
I have a Ursack and think that it is a good piece of equipment but he lost a lot of my respect when he sued Crittersack which was an entirely different piece of equipment. Methinks he may be lawsuit happy and is determined to win to show that he is right no matter what the ultimate damage may be.

#95739 - 05/07/08 09:37 AM Re: Ursack Strikes Back [Re: GrumpyGord]
tarbubble Offline

Loc: ca-li-for-ni-a
ditto - i thought the crittersack lawsuit was bullying and as a result i won't buy from Ursack again, even if they do win their suit against SIBBG. IIRC, the owner of Ursack is a lawyer. sheesh, hope he doesn't sue me for having an opinion.

#95740 - 05/07/08 12:43 PM Re: Ursack Strikes Back [Re: tarbubble]
jshannon Offline

Loc: North Texas
Tarbubble, what came of the crittersack lawsuit? Sarbar, I don't hate ursack. I was figuring the guy was wasting his time and would lose money over the issue. I could be wrong.

#95741 - 05/07/08 01:39 PM Double or nothing [Re: Trailrunner]
micale Offline

Loc: pnw
I have always thought that just doubling the bags up for these special Sierra areas would be a great simple solution and still far lighter and more practical than the cans. Ursack could just make one a little oversize to go over the inner bag. Then, there's nothing wrong with having an extra Ursack for other areas.

#95742 - 05/07/08 11:32 PM Re: Ursack [Re: micale]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I have somewhat ambivalent feelings towards Ursack, too, since those of us who bought the Vectran bags before August 2006 have been left in the lurch with a bag that Ursack admits is not bear-resistant. However, for those of us outside the SIBBG-controlled areas, it's still a great item for storing food. It is lightweight, doesn't require hours of searching for suitable trees and throwing rocks (something at which I am very bad at) and in most places in the US does keep the varmints out of our food supply. There are a lot of hikers in this country who do not hike in national parks or in places where, to a bear, anything in a bag = pinata. For the majority of us, the Ursack is definitely the answer.

I don't know if Ursack's current outlook is due to the lawyer owner or their location in California, but I think Ursack should forget expensive lawsuits and instead concentrate on marketing to the majority of backpackers, not to those who frequent the Sierra or to PCT through-hikers. I would hate to see them go out of business due to a misguided marketing policy.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum