Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92820 - 03/17/08 04:34 PM Trailrunners vs Running Shoes
seanpbeyer Offline

Today I went on a 4 mile hike with the wife and kids. I was carrying my daughter in our baby pack(she weighs more than my 3 day pack) I didn't feel like wearing my hiking boots so I just wore my Nike Pegasus running shoes and really enjoyed a day without the weight of boots. This got me thinking about switching to just wearing running shoes on light trips.

Now the question is, what are the differences between standard running shoes and "trailrunners" (I have never owned a pair) I expect that the soles may be more rigid, but are there any more improvements to make them a better choice and make me fork over the cheddar.

Sean

#92821 - 03/17/08 06:04 PM Re: Trailrunners vs Running Shoes [Re: seanpbeyer]
Mattress Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
The biggest differences I've noticed (in a good quality pair of trail runners) is on the soles. The grip is usually a bit more rigid, and often has a very lightweight stiffener. I find this helps for going up steep inclines, and also helps you not feel every ridge and sharp rock. The stitching is usually a bit more solid, and overall the shoe is more rugged. This said, the trail runner shouldn't be much heavier than a good running shoe.

I'm currently testing out a pair of Montrail Continental Divides (28 oz/pair, Men's 10.5) and so far they're great, and no more expensive than quality running shoes. Montrail seems to 'get' the trail shoe, plus they have environmentally sound business practices (their shoes come with no extra packaging, stuffing, marketing, or labels, just a box.)

#92822 - 03/17/08 07:32 PM Re: Trailrunners vs Running Shoes [Re: seanpbeyer]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
The only differences I've noticed are better treads and a tougher shell on the trail runners. I own a pair made by New Balance, and they've held up very well for about 6 years of use on trails and concrete. Mostly concrete.

Trail runners are fine for just that - trail use, with running as an option for the gung-ho among us. I wore a pair (lined with gore-tex) on a six night offtrail hike thinking about how my feet would thank me, and those shoes pretty much fell apart by the last day. They even lost a big hunk out of the heel. They're still great for what they're made for, though.

#92823 - 03/17/08 09:52 PM Re: Trailrunners vs Running Shoes [Re: seanpbeyer]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
A few years ago I switched from boots to Solomon trail runners. They are holding up very well. Better than any boots I have owned to date. The soles are very tough. They keep my feet nice and dry and are very comfortable. I love the lacing system too. Just pull on the toggle to tighten or loosen to suit the need. For me they are the way to go. I was actually a skeptic before I tried a pair. I bought my sister a pair and she loves them too.

Howie

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum