Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#88458 - 01/29/08 07:14 PM sleeping bag zipper
axel Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara
For years I have used a down bag with no zipper. Now I am in the market for a new bag and zippers are now located on the left, right and center. I am a lefty, so do I want the zipper on the left, or is there more to it, as in the location of the tent door for an easier exit?

#88459 - 01/29/08 07:32 PM Re: sleeping bag zipper [Re: axel]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

The "accepted wisdom" is that you want the zipper on the opposite side from your strong hand, so you'd want a right zip in theory.

OTOH, all bets are off if you actually try a couple of bags out and find out heaven forbid, you're different than what the "experts" think. All bets are also off if you have a zip-together
hiking buddy and you want bags that zip together.

Find a store that'll let you try out a couple so you can determine your preference.
Browse my pictures

#88460 - 01/29/08 07:39 PM Re: sleeping bag zipper [Re: axel]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
It all comes down to personal preference. I am right-handed; I tend to sleep on my left side; therefore, I like a left side zipper that I can reach with my right hand. If I have my bag partly open, I have my dominant hand free to grab things or turn pages on a book if I am reading. My tent door is behind me (at my head), so that makes little difference to me. I usually am alone, so that is of no consequence either.

A center zip makes little sense to me, but I am sure there is some justification for it.

I suggest going to a store like REI, climbing into one of each and trying them out.

#88461 - 01/29/08 11:31 PM Re: sleeping bag zipper [Re: axel]
billk Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I have both, and don't find much difference. I'm left-handed, but I don't think it's really relevant. One consideration might be whether or not you ever intend to use the bag with a bivy sack...you might want the zippers on the same side, assuming the bivy had a zipper. Or maybe opposite sides...I don't know.

Having thus muddied the waters, let me add another variable. I have a mating pair of old Trailwise Slimline bags, and the draft flap on one is attached to the bottom side of the bag, and to the top on the other. That way the zipper on the bottom is covered when they're mated. Not all manufacturers do this, maybe not any these days, for all I know. It's something to check for, though. Having the draft flap attached to the top of the bag insures that it will hang down over the zipper, rather than possibly falling away from the zipper. A thick, well designed draft flap minimizes this possibility, though.

#88462 - 01/30/08 07:37 AM Re: sleeping bag zipper [Re: phat]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
I made my first mummy down bag with a zipper in the middle, found it the best solution: easy to get to with both hands, no zipper in your way when you sleep on your side, easy to keep open or closed to regulate the temperature. The con is that the top part and puller, if not properly protected, hidden under some kind of flap, can get into chin, mouth or nose quite uncomfortably; needs a good anti-draft flap too.
Some bags have zipper starting on the side and ending on the front (diagonal?), probably a good compromise.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum