Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#88297 - 01/28/08 09:35 AM Sleeping bag advice needed
megaman Offline

I know there are a ton of these, but it seems everyone has their own requirements. I would be grateful if you could advise.

I plan to be sleeping in temperatures around freezing (30F) with just a tarp. I currently have a LaFuma 600 down rated for 40F with a ThermoMax sleeping bag liner. I'm worried about two things: 1) it won't be warm enough and 2) fog and dew in the mornings. I don't expect to sleep outside in heavy rain.

I want something warmer, but still with a small stuff size. The LaFuma is 6x12".

I have a couple questions,
1) It seems I want down for the small size, but is it a really bad idea if there will be heavy dew in the mornings?
2) Do most sleeping bag zippers mate with each other? (It would be a huge plus if I could get a warmer bag, but still be able to join it with my current one.)
3) Should I instead spend my money on a Thermarest sleeping pad? (I currently have a $5 foam pad.)
4) Any sleeping bag recommendations? I'm also in France, if you can recommend a good online/B&M shop.

Thanks so much!

#88298 - 01/28/08 10:20 AM Re: Sleeping bag advice needed [Re: megaman]
Paddy_Crow Offline

Loc: Michigan
You should probably say what your budget is.

1) Depends on the outer shell. I use a Big Agnes Horsethief bag, the outer shell can take quite a bit of moisture and it just rolls off. Some UL bags, probably not so good.

2) Probably a bit of a crap shoot.

3) A good pad is important, regardless of what bag you're using. I use an air mattress and add a layer of blue foam when I expect cold weather.

4) Western Mountaineering, Marmot. I really like the Big Agnes bags, too, but they aren't as popular in this community.

#88299 - 01/29/08 07:46 AM Re: Sleeping bag advice needed [Re: megaman]
jaiden Offline

Quote:
I know there are a ton of these, but it seems everyone has their own requirements. I would be grateful if you could advise.

I plan to be sleeping in temperatures around freezing (30F) with just a tarp. I currently have a LaFuma 600 down rated for 40F with a ThermoMax sleeping bag liner. I'm worried about two things: 1) it won't be warm enough and 2) fog and dew in the mornings. I don't expect to sleep outside in heavy rain.

I want something warmer, but still with a small stuff size. The LaFuma is 6x12".

I have a couple questions,
1) It seems I want down for the small size, but is it a really bad idea if there will be heavy dew in the mornings?
2) Do most sleeping bag zippers mate with each other? (It would be a huge plus if I could get a warmer bag, but still be able to join it with my current one.)
3) Should I instead spend my money on a Thermarest sleeping pad? (I currently have a $5 foam pad.)
4) Any sleeping bag recommendations? I'm also in France, if you can recommend a good online/B&M shop.

Thanks so much!

30F could work if you can wear some clothes in the bag without compressing the insulation. I have a lafuma 30 degree synthetic bag, and I don't trust it to 30 degrees. I haven't seen their down bags, so I'm not sure how well they are rated. The best way to tell is to measure the loft. Lay out the bag and let it loft up. then lay a meter stick across it such that only the weight of the stick is on it. Then measure from this stick to the floor.

This table comes from JacksRBetter, which is a quilt manufacturer. you would need to double the measurements if you're measuring a sleeping bag's double thickness.
Comfort Rating (°F) Loft (inches)
40 1.5
30 2.0
20 2.5
10 3.25
0 4.0

Loft is cumulative, provided it isn't compressed. Anything underneath you is compressed, so a good pad setup is important.

You may be better off spending another $5 for a second foam pad (closed cell foam) or two. Otherwise, you could splurge on a big agnes insulated or a DAM. The big agnes is pretty light and a lot less bulky than another pad, but way more expensive. You may have luck with cutting down one of the CCF pads to torso-size to reduce bulk and weight.

Bag wetness depends on the overall conditions. If you're spending two weeks out in the cold, with no chance to dry out your bag, you could get into trouble. Though down is notoriously bad, no insulation is truly "warm when wet"

I think you should be able to make your 40 degree bag work with some help. Good clothes, pad, and ideally a quality bivy bag would get you to 30 easily. Double check the loft though!

I wouldn't count on any two bags mating up, but you could bring yours to a store to try.

Also, don't believe everything you read on the internet (including this). If you can test your sleep system in your back yard or next to a car full of extra blankets, you'll be much safer.

#88300 - 01/29/08 11:13 AM Re: Sleeping bag advice needed [Re: megaman]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
If you have the same LaFuma 40ºF bag that I have, I'm not sure it would be comfortable even to 40ºF. I have two 40ºF down bags, one by LaFuma and one by Mtn. Hardwear. The Mtn. Hardwear bag is considerably more lofty... even with fluffing in the dryer I'm not impressed by the LaFuma's loft, and seriously doubt I'd use it outdoors by itself below 60ºF. I have used my Mtn. Hardware in a hammock, with a light jacket, down to about 35ºF and been warm as toast. My son took the Mtn Hardwear bag for his bed (his reminder of 'mom' since he doesn't live with me 5 days a week now), and the LaFuma lives on my couch. I might use it as a liner for my 32ºF synthetic bag, but that's about it.

MNS

#88301 - 01/29/08 02:52 PM Re: Sleeping bag advice needed [Re: midnightsun03]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Quote:
I'm not impressed by the LaFuma's loft, and seriously doubt I'd use it outdoors by itself below 60ºF.
MNS

Does it EVER get to be 60 F and above in AK?

When I was in TX, I bought a 65 F bag that worked great all the time....in Tx. It is a great bag. Basically, two layers of nylon, and no insulation. Very light and cheap, and warm for Texas summers. Different story here in high mountain SLC.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum