Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201081 - 06/04/18 03:16 AM Required light gear for backpacking
Billy02 Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX, USA.
Hi, i am travelling to asia and was thinking to pack light so it is easy to carry and travel, i would like to know, what gear should i carry, like what type of knife, what type of flash etc, thank you.

#201158 - 06/10/18 04:22 PM Re: Required light gear for backpacking [Re: Billy02]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Billy, this isn't a travel forum but about American style backpacking, which is wilderness trekking. I'd suggest a travel forum like Lonely Planet or others.

Also, remember that if you plan to take a knife when traveling by plane, it has to go in checked luggage. If you plan to travel light and avoid checked luggage, you'll have to do without a knife.

#201321 - 07/02/18 09:13 AM Re: Required light gear for backpacking [Re: OregonMouse]
Billy02 Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX, USA.
i am thinking to take a knife and that too in luggage, not in hand carry. "Survival Knife" will this be okay??

Edited by aimless (07/02/18 12:09 PM)
Edit Reason: removed commercial link

#201323 - 07/02/18 10:43 AM Re: Required light gear for backpacking [Re: Billy02]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
There's nothing light about that knife. Keep in mind that wilderness backpacking and survivalism are two completely different things. Many BPers don't even carry a knife, maybe just a tiny pair of scissors to open food packages. It's fine if you want to carry one (assuming there are no legal issues where you will be traveling); it's just that for a properly prepared BPer, it's usually unnecessary and not worth the weight (to them). If you decide to bring a knife anyway, then I'd suggest you learn to use it properly before your trip, Otherwise, what's the point? The only reason I could think of to carry a knife that big is if you're going to be batoning wood, the necessity of which is debated even among survivalists and knife aficionados. Even then, a blade length of 4-6 inches should be sufficient, less if you will only be splitting smaller sticks.

For the record, I do carry a small knife. The blade is about 2.5 inches, fixed blade, full tang, made from a sawzall blade, but with a comfortable wooden handle pinned and epoxied on. It weighs just a smidge over 1oz. Even that is, admittedly, unnecessary. I could get by just fine without it, but between that and the tiny scissors on my keychain multi-tool, I'm all set for cutting tools. I'm relying less on that for getting me out of survival situations and more on prevention. If I were to get into a bad situation, I've got shelter and insulation on my back, and ways to carry and sterilize water. Even in the case of complete loss or failure of my gear, there are usually options that don't require a giant knife.

Edited by 4evrplan (07/03/18 10:29 AM)

#201370 - 07/09/18 01:30 PM Re: Required light gear for backpacking [Re: Billy02]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Please do check the legal issues where you're going--some countries/local jurisdictions do not allow knife carry. As mentioned by the other posters here, you don't really need a knife. Lots of folks take a single edge razor blade, well wrapped, instead of a knife. I personally wouldn't want to try to manicure finger and toe nails with a razor blade, but I have relatively unsteady hands.

#201676 - 09/09/18 11:22 PM Re: Required light gear for backpacking [Re: Billy02]
wildnfree Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Az
You can pack a knife if you want your luggage to be carefully examined. If you want to pack light below 7 kilograms, just bring some clothes and essential items like charger, towel, toothbrush, etc..

If you want to bring more things or buying products, you need to buy more weight.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum