Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200712 - 04/11/18 03:16 PM Trailrunners: what socks to wear when raining/wet
AdamWang Offline

hi,

So I got hotspots with my new heavy hiking boots, and I was advised to get NON-goretex trailrunners instead of hiking boots and - if heading into wet terrain, wearing Rocky Goretex socks.

So that is the plan. I'm looking at La Sportiva Wildcats or Ultra Raptors.

My question is, when using in wet or cold weather, would I be wearing some wool socks along with the Rocky Goretex socks? If so, what sort of wool socks (super thin or regular/thick) ? And would they go on first before the Rocky Goretex socks, or after?

I'm asking all this because I figure I should go shopping for my trailrunners wearing whatever sock configuration I'm going to use, to account for thickness.

On the other hand, since I'm in southern california and my backpacking trips will be dry most of the time, does that mean that the shoe will be too loose if I shop for them wearing the above socks?

thank you,
Adam

#200713 - 04/11/18 04:08 PM Re: Trailrunners: what socks to wear when raining/wet [Re: AdamWang]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I would wear thin socks so that the overall thickness of your socks doesn't change from configuration to configuration.

To be clear, I think the advice is (others can clarify) to wear waterproof socks when it is cold AND wet (not OR). If it is warm and wet you'll sweat so much in waterproof socks that your feet will be wet either way.

#200716 - 04/11/18 07:54 PM Re: Trailrunners: what socks to wear when raining/wet [Re: BZH]
AdamWang Offline

So just to clarify, for regular "good weather" hiking, I might wear a thin liner sock (wool or otherwise) and light cushion wool sock. This would go in a non-goretex rugged trail running shoe.

If it's going to be occasionally wet but not cold, I won't wear goretex socks but wear the above and just bring an extra pair of socks. They can dry out at night , or on the trail as I walk.

Only if it's going to be cold AND wet, then I would wear Goretex socks over the liners, and it doesn't matter if I sweat more inside the goretex sock because it was going to be wet anyway?

Thanks.

#200717 - 04/11/18 08:06 PM Re: Trailrunners: what socks to wear when raining/wet [Re: AdamWang]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Yup. But I don't wear liner socks when it's warm, just hiking socks. I only wear liner socks if I'm wearing the goretex socks.

#200718 - 04/11/18 09:04 PM Re: Trailrunners: what socks to wear when raining/wet [Re: JustWalking]
AdamWang Offline

Thanks.

Is the reason for the liner socks - when wearing the goretex socks - to keep the accumulated moisture away from your skin?

#200720 - 04/11/18 09:49 PM Re: Trailrunners: what socks to wear when raining/wet [Re: AdamWang]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Your original post made me dig out my old Goretex (I guess) socks, which are the Sealskinz brand. I looked at their web site and now they have quite a variety of waterproof socks, some with Merino wool linings, which presumably wouldn't necessarily require a liner sock. Not cheap, but neither are regular hiking socks.

https://www.sealskinzusa.com/socks

#200722 - 04/11/18 10:49 PM Re: Trailrunners: what socks to wear when raining/wet [Re: AdamWang]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
When it's not cold, I wear acrylic socks. They perform reasonably well and dry reasonably quickly. When it's cold, I wear wool socks over nylon everyday compression socks and try not to get my feet wet. The NRS Hydroskins appear to be good choices for chronically wet conditions, but I haven't used them. I wear the nylon compression socks partly because my toenails don't poke holes in them and they protect my wool socks. I have not had good life from wool or polypropylene liner socks. Nylon wears better and dries reasonably well. Wet socks and warm feet don't go together and foregoing socks altogether may be the best choice. My feet got wet Monday and never did warm up until I got out of the wet socks. As long as you are moving, thin socks are probably the best choice. Thick socks just compress more and don't give any more insulation in the shoe. When stationary, dry socks and some sort of thin camp shoe is probably best.

#200726 - 04/12/18 09:34 AM Re: Trailrunners: what socks to wear when raining/wet [Re: AdamWang]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Originally Posted By AdamWang
Thanks.

Is the reason for the liner socks - when wearing the goretex socks - to keep the accumulated moisture away from your skin?
The double layered socks slide against each other instead of against your skin and help prevent blisters.

#200727 - 04/12/18 09:41 AM Re: Trailrunners: what socks to wear when raining/wet [Re: wgiles]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I bought a couple pair of wool blend socks to use in cool and cold weather. However, my wife got a pair of all synthetic warm socks to wear around the house, and I've been eyeing them. They were less expensive, warmer, and are machine washable. I've been babying mine, since they cost about $10 a pair, and washing them by hand in the sink, but that gets really old. I really don't wear them much. Part of that is it's usually not that cold here, but the other part is not wanting to mess with the hand washing. I think next time, I'll get a pair like my wife's. After mine wear out. In 50 years.

#200731 - 04/12/18 12:39 PM Re: Trailrunners: what socks to wear when raining/wet [Re: wgiles]
JustWalking Offline

"The NRS Hydroskins appear to be good choices for chronically wet conditions, but I haven't used them."

I know someone who swears by them for winter backpacking, but you need to be aware that they aren't waterproof unless you seal the seams.

#200732 - 04/12/18 12:41 PM Re: Trailrunners: what socks to wear when raining/wet [Re: 4evrplan]
JustWalking Offline

"but the other part is not wanting to mess with the hand washing."

I generally buy the Darn Tough wool socks, which are a blend, not 100% wool, and wash them with the rest of my clothes in the washer, then hang to dry. Haven't had an issue doing this at all. My understanding is that you simply need to ensure your wash and rinse water are set to the same temp.

#200738 - 04/14/18 02:24 AM Re: Trailrunners: what socks to wear when raining/wet [Re: JustWalking]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Interestingly, it's the agitation along with water and heat that makes wool shrink. Actually, I think "felting" is the correct term.

Here's a YouTube video that explains it pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Pb0Abb6hc

Personally, I've found that every wool or wool blend sock I've tried eventually shrinks, though careful hand washing helps. I haven't tried the Darn Tough socks, though. I've used Thorlo Light Hikers for years with satisfaction. All synthetic, just as expensive as wool, and wear like iron. I have a number of older pairs that I've relegated to everyday use that just won't wear out. And they don't shink in the dryer. They might, though, if dried on high heat.

#200745 - 04/15/18 09:12 PM Re: Trailrunners: what socks to wear when raining/wet [Re: Bill Kennedy]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
My experience with wool socks has been that the cheaper ones work fine. I've got three pairs of Walmart Merino socks that I have worn through this winter. I believe that they are sold under the Realtree brand. When I wash them, I chuck them in the washing machines with the rest of the dirty clothes and detergent with color safe bleach. They go in the dryer on permanent press and back into the rotation. They don't feel any different now than they did at the beginning of winter. I've got higher quality, more expensive socks, but these are the ones that I wear. I think that the price runs between $6 and $9.00 per pair.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum